Finished sanding and with a couple of coats of primer --debating whether to keep them light or do a dark stain.
Decided to go with a dark stain, but the stain didn't 'take' since it had been whitewashed previously. I could've spent HOURS and hours sanding them more, but I paid $25 for these things - I wasn't about to invest that much time in them. I figured that sometime we'll actually buy a nice bedroom set and just pass these down to our kids or something. SO.... I painted them a dark brown. I was kind of skeptical about whether it would look okay or not, but they were sitting around for so many weeks and I just wanted to get 'em finished. So this is how they turned out.
I'm not completely thrilled with them (stain wouldn've been so much better) but we're enjoying the extra storage space and I don't think they look awful. But after calculating the money I spent on primer, paint, sealant, and knobs, I didn't just spend $25 on these things, I spent about $100 and about 4 - 5 hours of my time. (Knobs can really add up quickly)
The question I have in my mind is was it worth it? I'm still wondering.....
This is definately my last furniture project.....maybe......let's hope so. Too much work.
That's so funny. My vote...totally worth it--they look great!...but I know what you mean...
ReplyDeleteWe bought a dresser when we were first married. It looks like it's out of the 70's but is high quality wood and simple lines that could have a classic feel. I've been meaning to refinish it for about 8 years now. Last week I posted it on Craislist...I'm hoping I can make enough to buy a better looking dresser on Craigslist without investing the time it would require to upgrade the current one!
I'm just impressed it only took 4-5 hours! Congrats! I like 'em!
ReplyDelete