I wish I would've kept a quote book throughout my life like my friend Amy used to. She would write down funny/insightful/quirky quotes said by her family and friends. I am sure I would have some GREAT little treasures of things all of ya have said! When Mikayla starts talking in legible sentences, my goal is to keep a little quote book of the funny things she says. Anyway, I've been trying to update my little quote section at the top each time I post, and most of the ones I've put up there have just been from memory. But I have no more ideas. What are all of your favorite quotes??? (Be warned though, if you comment and share a quote, I might just steal it!)
For this month, my favorite quotes come from a talk I read from the January Ensign -"The best is yet to come" and "Faith is in the future, not the past" - Jeffery R. Holland. That just sets a very positive tone for the year, and it's pretty refreshing when it's so common and so fashionable to be a complainer, you know the talk - the economy stinks, our nation is falling apart, we're all gonna die from the icecaps melting, I have the worst in-laws ever, we don't have enough money, etc. etc. I've definately got caught up in negative patterns a few times this past year, but this year I want to believe that the best is yet to come, and our lives really aren't that miserable, we are actually pretty spoiled and pretty lucky to be living in this country, imperfect as it is. And our families are pretty great too, imperfect as they are!
A few months ago Kraig had an opportunity to apply for a job in Montreal, Canada. Now, I LOVE to see new places and to travel, but after the initial thrill of going somewhere different had worn off, I remembered that I love the United States, and that I did want my kids to grow up here and have opportunities that will enrich their lives. By opportunities I mean little things (but in my mind important) like the chance to play American sports, to be part of U.S. history in the making, to grow up with American traditions and culture and friends. While I really appreciate my experiences growing up in England (especially my awesome British friends) I do think that it's not easy to grow up being the foreigner (but not completely). You feel kind of like a mutt - not fully either nationality.
Also, I am going to appreciate Utah for all of the great things there are here. Sometimes I wished I lived somewhere with more diversity and with more money allotted to education, but there are so many great things here - lots to do, family-friendly, I love my ward, skiing is 20 mins. away, I have some family here, lots of memories from when we'd visit in our childhood, and so on...
Here's to a more positive and grateful 2010.
Fantastic! Another blog...I can't get enough of these things.
ReplyDeleteMELISSA! Of course I remember you! I love your blog and Mikayla is simply adorable!! That's so cool you harvested honey and do all that homemaker stuff... I'm getting there. Hopefully this summer I'll be able to plant my first REAL garden.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I just realized that I'm signed in as Rex, but this is Edda. Just so ya know. :)